Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sweet Sunday 113 and SPCC 96

On Sunday, I left for a short trip to Long Island to visit my niece.  To save time on the drive down there, I take the ferry from New London, Connecticut to Orient Point, New York.  It's a nice way to break up the driving and saves a lot of time.  It's only and hour and twenty minute ferry ride, you're never out of sight of land and usually it's a very pleasant trip.  However, on Saturday we had a bit of unsettled weather and the after effects on the sea were something else.  There were white caps on the waves, the sound of the waves hitting the ferry were loud enough to have me spontaneously saying words I shouldn't be saying in public, and I generally felt like I was being tossed around the ocean like the crew of the SS Minnow!  (Remember Gilligan's Island anyone)?

Despite that, the visit with my niece was very nice and the ferry ride home was thankfully uneventful.  But when I got home I decided to venture into my stamp room and try to get back in the groove of things.  I felt a little out of sorts at first, but I finally settled on making a card for the Sweet Sunday sketch challenge and the Scrapmaster's Paradise color challenge.

I really tried to use a different stamp set than my brand new (not yet released) Fabulous Florets stamp set.  I really did.  I even stamped one of the flowers from the Fifth Avenue set before I decided that it just didn't look right and I not-so-reluctantly decided to use the Fabulous Florets instead.

I'm not keeping count, but I'm pretty sure that just about every card I've made lately has been made with this stamp set.  I had a feeling that I would like it, but even I'm a little surprised at how much I like it!  I think it's become the spring-time version of my favorite fall stamp set, French Foliage!

I thought I was running just a tiny bit low on the basic pearls that I normally use on my butterfly cutouts, so on this butterfly I used some Liquid Pearls.  I really like Liquid Pearls and I have them in bunches of colors, but the downside is that they take a long time to dry.  I had to make sure that I took this photo of this card fairly quickly because I didn't want the round pearls to run.  Then I have to set the card aside, lay it flat and just keep it that way until it dries.  It's a little inconvenient, but it's an inexpensive way to add pearl accents to your cards.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have time to stamp today!

6 comments:

Kim O'Connell said...

I love how those beautiful flowers seem to blooming right out of the circular panel! So pretty!

Lori Turner said...

Oooooh!!! Jen, this is SO pretty! I agree with Kim..the flowers look very neat "coming out of the circle!" WTG! Thanks for playing with us at SPCC this week :)

Lori - SPCC Diva

Vicky Hayes said...

Lovely to get a sneak peek of the Fabulous Florets set - it's gorgeous! Your ferry trip sounds character-forming to say the least!

thescrapmaster said...

WOW! This is breathtakingly beautiful. I love it.
Hugs,
Samantha
SP and Company Stamps

Terrie said...

This is amazing ..love the layout and great use of the color combo .. Thanks for playing at SPCC this week ...

Stephanie said...

This card is just beautiful! Thanks so much for playing at SPCC!